- 6 pieces of thickly sliced bread (ciabatta works nicely, but any good quality loaf will do)
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 pinch of nutmeg and cardamom
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 handful of fresh berries
- Coconut cream*
- Chopped nuts, banana slices, coconut shreds, etc.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until evenly combined. Then, in a heated pan or skillet, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Take 1 slice of bread and dip both sides in the almond milk mixture. Place the bread slice on the pan and let sit for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Be patient but be sure not to let them burn. Repeat this for each slice of bread. Next, layer the bread slices with fresh berries, maple syrup, coconut cream and other desired toppings. Get creative! Enjoy warm with loved ones.
- *To make the coconut cream, simple place a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Scoop out the cream at the top of the can and discard the “water”, or save to use for smoothies. Whip the cream with beaters, until it forms a whipped cream-like substance.
- Et Voila!
Recipe + Images by our WOW Foodie Contributor, Sisley Killam.
See more around-the-world recipes here.