I’ve just returned home after a magnificent trip to Malaysia and by far the most memorable dish from my travels throughout the country was the popular banana fritters. While I love to indulge overseas and stick to a “try everything” mantra, coming home often results in a mini detox phase to unwind from the sugar craze (I just love to try sweet things!), followed by endeavours to recreate my favourite dishes at home to share with my family and friends. Today I’d love to share with you my healthy take on the Banana Fritters recipe, resulting in a glorious yummy dessert that is not only more-ish but also healthy and light.
The traditional banana fritters is an indulgent, deep-fried recipe with plenty of warmth for winter, however given that it is summer here in Australia I tried to recreate this dish in a healthier way, without losing that fabulous flavour! Although the batter is much less crispy, it is still really yummy thanks to the nutty almond flavour, which really compliments the sweetness of the cooked banana.
The preparation of the bananas (coating them in honey and almond meal/cinnamon mix) is really messy… so just roll with it! This is a fun, quick and easy recipe to impress your friends with something they’re likely to have never tried before… so what better way to transport them around the world than through their stomachs!
When serving, you have many options depending on your taste buds and depending how indulgent you’d like to be. I like to eat my banana fritters with plain vanilla ice cream, though you could go healthier with a plain yogurt or more indulgent with a dulce de leche flavoured ice cream. No matter which way you choose, the creamy texture balances out the warm banana and gives a little moisture to the dish.
I chose to serve my banana fritters with a sprinkle of crumbed walnuts, though crushed peanuts would also work really well with this dish. A drizzle of honey at the end is optional, or you can even choose to caramelise the centre of the bananas with a blow torch (like you do to creme brûlée!)
- 4 bananas
- 60g honey (warmed)
- 80g almond meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- sprinkles of coconut sugar
- sprinkles of crushed walnuts (optional)
- scoop of ice cream or plain yogurt to serve
- Heat your oven to 220 C
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- In a small mixing bowl, combine almond meal and cinnamon
- Brush the bananas with a coat of warmed honey and a second coat of almond meal mix
- Place bananas on prepared baking tray
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Slice bananas in half and place on serving plate
- Diligently sprinkle exposed banana half with coconut sugar
- Using a blow torch, lightly caramelise bananas until sugar is melted
- Sprinkle crumbled walnuts to fill the plate (and they're yum!)
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream or plain yogurt and drizzle with warmed honey
Tag your WOW around-the-world recipes with #worldofwanderlust on instagram so I can check out your creations! Lots of love. X