Valentine’s day is fast approaching and if you’re anything like me, you’re less than prepared (a token gift for myself would normally cut it but this year I’ve got someone spesh to spoil!) So here’s a super easy recipe to kick things off on the 14th February, wherever you are celebrating in the world! Plus if you don’t have a Valentine you can TOTALLY make these for yourself (just as a disclosure, be aware they’re really easy to eat a whole plate of – so perhaps consider halving the recipe… or, y’know, don’t!)
While these sweet treats might not be sugar free, gluten free or anything free, they’re certainly a delicious treat to spoil someone special with and can be made in around 10 minutes flat! All the more reason to serve warm with a coffee or glass of O.J. as a breakfast in bed treat.
This recipe was adapted from Recipe Tin Eats who takes way nicer photos and way more care in her presentation – be sure to check it out!
- 6 slices fresh white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1 Punnet strawberries, diced
- 4-5 tbsp Nutella
- ¼ cup caster sugar (for rolling)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 tbsp milk (full cream)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Put egg, milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a bowl & whisk to combine.
- Spread sugar out on a small plate.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the bread flat. This makes them easier to roll up!
- Spread each piece of bread with around 1 tbsp of Nutella.
- Sprinkle strawberries along the bottom of each piece of bread.
- Roll up bread (Don't worry, the Nutella will keep it sealed!)
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat.
- Roll each roll up in the Egg Mixture, shake off excess then place in the pan. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Cook for around 3-5 minutes until each side is golden, rotating every 1 minute or so.
- Remove from pan and immediately place in the sugar. Roll to coat in sugar, then remove. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Serve immediately, while warm.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar, melted Nutella and fresh cream to garnish!
These French inspired breakfast treats are best enjoyed warm, straight after they have hit the plate (which won’t be a trouble after you start biting in to them!) You can garnish them with any sweet treats you like – cream, ice cream, melted Nutella, chopped hazelnuts or more fresh strawberries. As a lover of Nutella (and chocolate in general) I layered on some warmed up Nutella and a sprinkle of icing sugar for even more sweetness!