Easily my favourite treats around Christmas time are the famed chocolate rum balls. When I was in Copenhagen a couple of years ago I was introduced to the year-round “romkugler”, a Danish version of the rum ball with chocolate sprinkles on the outside. I was impressed to see that the Danes were indulging on these delcious sweet treats year round, and found this to be my later excuse as to why I now create a batch every so often for no real reason at all…. After all, do you really need a reason!?
I later came across rum balls again in my travels at the traditional European Christmas Markets, and particularly remember indulging in one or two (okay it was at least five) at the Salzburg Christkindlmarkt. I made it my mission whilst at the Christmas Markets to eat and try as many sweets as I could, so that when I returned home I could recreate the magic of the Christmas Markets for my friends and family. For anyone who has been to a traditional Christmas Market, you will know just how magical they are. The stalls are filled with gorgeous trinkets, snow globes and knick knacks, while the streets are filled with wafts of sugar-coated nuts, mulled wine, and bratwursts!
So now that I’m home for Christmas, its time to re-create this classic with a modern twist: White Chocolate Rum Balls! I’m going to include a few different Christmas Market recipes in the lead up to Christmas so that anyone who wishes to teleport themselves back to (or for the first time) the Christmas Markets, you can do so! Get ready for more great recipes like mulled wine, nougat, and those delicious sugary cinnamon coated almonds!
- 250g packet plain sweet biscuits
- 200g block white chocolate, chopped
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- 80ml rum
- Line a large tray with baking paper. Use a food processor to process biscuits until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth.
- Add the chocolate, condensed milk, 1/2 cup coconut, and rum to biscuit mixture, then mix to combine.
- Leave mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
- Place the remaining coconut in a small bowl. Roll a small spoonful of mixture into a ball, toss into coconut to coat and place onto a prepared tray.
- Repeat until all mixture (plus a little to eat along the way!) has been rolled.
- Refrigerate until hard then serve.