Not all of us can travel half as much as we’d like to and some of us not at all. That’s okay. It’s also just as important to create a life we don’t need to escape and focus on what we have available to us right now, and use what we have to live a life of fulfilment and happiness.
So if you’re stuck in between trips, wanderlusting over an adventure you can’t take just yet or like the idea of being at home in routine for a little while, here’s 20 blissful moments of every day life you may have been taking for granted that will bring you just as much happiness as seeing the Eiffel Tower peering through a Parisian street or eating Italian gelato for the first time (at least, they come close…).
1. A long, hot bath – think Julia Roberts a la Pretty Woman. Headphones in, music on, bubbles everywhere.
2. Crossing off the last item on a to-do list.
3. Hearing the words ‘thank you’ for something you have done for a person.
4. Sleeping in.
5. Taking your work clothes off and changing into sweatpants.
6. Seeing an old couple still in love.
7. Fresh bed sheets.
8. Doing what you love and loving what you do.
9. Quitting something and sticking to it.
10. Eating ice cream out of the tub.
11. Anything free. Especially food, it always tastes better.
12. Hearing your favourite song on the radio.
13. A spontaneous road trip.
14. Your own pillow.
15. Dancing in the rain and lying in the sun.
16. Christmas Carols any time remotely close to December. Unless you’re the Grinch.
17. Being forgiven.
18. Getting the window seat.
19. Getting the ratio of your beverage of choice as close to perfection as possible.
20. Being able to drink water out of the tap.
21. Cooking your toast to perfection and watching the butter melt in front of your eyes.
22. Biting into a juicy piece of ripe fruit.
23. The sound of the rain on a tin roof.
25. Receiving a letter in the mail that isn’t a bill.
26. A smile from a stranger.
27. Seeing more savings in your bank than you anticipated.
28. The first signs of spring.
29. A cat meowing back at you.
30. Long weekends.
31. A Sunday roast.
32. Bumping into an old friend.
33. Winning something. Anything.
34. Having something lucky happen to you when you’re wearing your lucky underwear.
35. Making a new friend in an unexpected circumstance.
36. Getting to the counter and your purchase is on sale.
37. Finding money in your back pocket.
38. Looking at old photo albums.
39. Watching a Disney movie.
40. Dancing like no one’s watching.
41. Laughing so hard it hurts.
42. Puppies. Everyone loves puppies.
43. Appreciating the importance of family first.
44. Finding something you thought was long lost.
45. Singing in the shower.
46. Leaving the hairdressers.
47. Beating rush hour traffic.
48. Finding a new restaurant that becomes your local.
49. Lunch breaks.
50. Realising life is not about what happens to you, but how you respond to it.