10 Things you Must Know Before you Travel to Amsterdam
The Do’s and Don’ts
1. DON’T walk in the bicycle lanes – whether it be for the safety factor of being run into or for the appreciation for this unwritten rule that really pisses locals off.
2. DO rent a bike yourself – not only is it the best way to get around the city quickly and efficiently, it’s a great way to soak up Amsterdam and feel like a local.
3. DON’T waste the day nursing your hangover – the best time to experience the city is early in the morning before the work rush or during the work rush if you want to be surrounded by locals, as at about 10am the tourists surface and it’s all Digital SLR’s and people on corners with maps from there.
4. DO rely on English to get you by – not only is it spoken by everyone but it’s almost insulting to ask the Dutch if they speak English. Everyone does.
5. DON’T rule out a visit in winter – it’s actually one of the more magical times of year to visit, especially if it snows!
6. DO try Dutch cheese – you will thank me later.
7. DON’T drink in the streets – believe it or not, it’s illegal.
8. DO check out the red light district – even if it’s just to say you have done so.
9. DON’T take pictures of the ladies there – if you want a souvenir from this part of town, buy a postcard. It’s your safest option (no pun intended).
10. DO greet everyone before asking a question – it is considered rude to just launch into “Where is….” But if you ask me, that goes for anywhere in the world.